top of page

KAP. ELY DELA CRUZ BREAKS SILENCE ON BARANGAY FUNERAL HALL CONTROVERSY

Iza Aldana

Jan 12, 2026

Temporary Closure Ordered Amid Unfinished Project in Barangay Rosario; Due Process Followed Under the Law

PASIG CITY — A heated debate erupted on social media after the decision to temporarily close the official funeral hall (burulan) of Barangay Rosario drew sharp criticism and accusations of political maneuvering. The controversy coincided with the return to office of Barangay Captain Ely Dela Cruz, and escalated after police were called in by Analyn Santos, who recently served as Acting Officer-in-Charge.

According to Captain Dela Cruz, the funeral hall remains unfinished, citing pending works ranging from casillas to downspouts, making the facility unsafe and unfit for public use. He stressed that any complaints or accidents arising from a premature reopening would fall squarely under his administration’s responsibility.

The barangay chief clarified that despite ongoing renovations, Councilor Santos allegedly pushed for the use of the facility and involved law enforcement after insisting the project had already been “completed.” In consideration of the bereaved families, Dela Cruz said the administration allowed the immediate burial, but ordered the re-closure of the official funeral hall to allow construction to resume and be completed properly.

Barangay officials emphasized that services were not completely halted. An immediate resolution was issued designating an alternative venue in Hunter’s, with limited capacity, while renovation works continue. At present, two wakes are reportedly being held at the designated temporary site.

Captain Dela Cruz firmly denied claims that the move was politically motivated. “There is a clear legal process—permits, inspections, and a complete scope of work—before any public facility can be declared open,” he said. He further warned that any collection of fees without explicit city authorization would carry legal accountability, which would ultimately fall on the incumbent administration.

The official also underscored that barangay projects are subject to strict standards, from bidding and documentation to actual site inspection and final completion, before being formally opened to the public. As of now, the barangay is still awaiting the complete set of project documents.

Addressing his recent suspension and the refiling of complaints against him, Captain Dela Cruz said he has chosen to respond calmly despite the controversy intensifying after police involvement. “It’s as if I was already suspended—and now the police are involved,” he noted, saying it was necessary to clarify the facts and put an end to allegations linking the issue to politics.

“Public safety and the integrity of the barangay come first,” Dela Cruz stressed. “Not political noise.” For News Video, follow the link: https://www.facebook.com/share/v/1Km5VUy5Ho/

bottom of page